Thursday 13 November 2008

Drizzle, more fun to say than proper rain... but more annoying.

Yup. Its drizzling. How terribly English to start a blog with a weather report. Tho as I was recently pointing out to Ducko, talking about the weather is a delightful trait. Its not just that English people can only talk about the weather coz we are all terribly boring, its just a nice, open, inclusive way of starting a conversation with a stranger. To people who criticise the English for doing so I would like to ask, how do you strike up a conversation with someone you dont know? Jump in with a debate about Rachmaninov? The weather is something anyone can talk about, everyone can have an opinion about. Its a universal topic. Also, being England, the weather is generally a bit crappy, giving the people talking something to unite against, promoting a feeling of togetherness as we whinge about the rain again.
As for another recent debate, I asked Ducko one of my lifelong questions - Is fire alive? Now I know my opinion on this, I think it is. It adheres to all of the things necessary to be alive, spelled out in the acronym MRSGREN. My explaination of just why I was right about all this fell down a bit as I can now remember what very few of the letters stand for...
Bugger.
Perhaps...

Movement
Respiration
S
G
Reproduction
Excretion
Nutrition

Any biologists out there?

Apple Ogies for this being a bit of a rant... I blame the drizzle.

1 comment:

Beth said...

Answer about the fire thing: here.

Hope Bath was gool and crovy. See ya soon xx