Thursday 5 May 2011

Day 6: Favorite horror

Day 6: Favorite horror


Favourite horror... do I have one I wonder? You would think I would.. but yet again, I am second, and triple guessing my genre definitions...

hmm

Fuckit. This ones a cracker... if only I could remember the name. Had on while I google...

The Haunting!

Yes.. its a bit rubbishy.. but its also a bit epic. First watched this years and years ago on my own, in the dark, in the middle of the night. At the end, got up to go brush my teeth, in the dark ran into my dad, who had also been watching it, but downstairs. I jumped and yelled. He jumped and yelled. My mam who was asleep woke up and yelled. Excellent.

The film itself is creepy. Definate moments to make you jump. Some beautiful ideas, and some excellent special effects. Liam Neeson is always a draw, and in this - as good as ever.

With all haunted house stories, you have to wonder why the hell they dont just leave. At least in this they try to. You are left wanting them to have tried harder... but, thems the breaks.

I would love to have a water filled corridor with piles of books as steppingstones.

Its not the bloodfilled horror - those, in all honesty, I dont really have much time for. Theres only so many pints of cornsyrup you can see before you get bored, and once you have seen hooks pulling at skin that looks like it came off your xmas stocking tangerine, or wasps crawling all over a bathroom mirror, I dont really need to see it again. I dont want a horror to shock and repulse me. I want it to horrify me.. make me scared to go to bed because of what the bed might turn into, not because there is an escaped nightmare demon hiding under it.

No comments: